Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Wednesday, March 26



Psalm 119:105
105 Your word is a lamp to my feet
   and a light to my path. 

I love this verse from Psalms.  I have always approached the Bible as more of a human history than a rule book and this verse helps me see it in that way.  God gives us memory, reason, and skill; therefore, we should use them to read the Bible and other religious texts and make decisions about what it means for us today. 

I get very frustrated with people who use the Bible to be decidedly un-Christian.  Many people pull verses out of context and hold them up to “prove” that God does not love different groups of people.  I frankly don’t believe that my God is that narrow-minded. I believe that God gave us His word and other religious texts to help our little, feeble human minds grasp His holiness.  I, like most Episcopalians, believe that I am part of an Easter people, rather than a person who lives in darkness.  I choose to believe that God wants us all to be living in His light and presence.

This image of God’s word lighting my path is one that I love.  I know that I would be in darkness without it. I am glad that there is a path that I can shine light onto and find my way in the world.  I believe that God has a plan for me and that he wants me to be happy; however, I do acknowledge that I have free will and often make decisions that makes God sad.  Sometimes, I get upset with God and turn my back on Him. Yet his light never goes out. It is there whenever I am ready to pick it back up and begin on the path.  

I love this version of Amy Grant’s classic “Thy Word.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9VKSBForJY&feature=kp

No comments:

Post a Comment