Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday, March 21




Mark 4:39-40
39He woke up and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, ‘Peace! Be still!’ Then the wind ceased, and there was a dead calm. 40He said to them, ‘Why are you afraid? Have you still no faith?’

If faith were easy, then everyone would be faithful all the time. Faith is easy to have when things are going your way, but not so if things are difficult.   The disciples are going about their lives by being on the fishing boat and they are used to handling a storm, but on this night the storm seems much worse to them.  They know that Jesus is different from most people and they expect more from him.  Mostly, though the disciples are afraid—a very common human trait in rough times—and they want to be comforted immediately.  Jesus, however, knows he can control the storm and is not worried.  Then, when he wakes up, Jesus calms the storm and asks the disciples why are you afraid?  Jesus questions the disciples’ faith, but his presence reassures them.

How many times in my life have I felt like giving up? Many, but my faith in God has always seen me through. The earliest time I remember that I relied on faith was during my parents’ divorce.  I was a teenager and not attending church, but I used journaling and prayers to express my faith.  Then, during times when family members have been sick or dying, I often relied on faith and the prayers from the Book of Common Prayer to see me through those dark days. One of my favorite prayers saw me through my dad's recent illness and death. From Compline and Evening Prayer--

 Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or
weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who
sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless
the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the
joyous; and all for your love's sake. Amen.

 Finally, in transitioning from jobs over the last five years I have relied on my faith in God to find the right job for me at that point in time.  Although I am not always unafraid, I know in my heart that God will see me through.       

No comments:

Post a Comment