Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tuesday, March 25



The Annunciation

Luke 1:30-33
 30The angel said to her, ‘Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favour with God. 31And now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus.32He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his ancestor David. 33He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.’ 

Today we celebrate Mary, the mother of Jesus, when she first found out she had been chosen to be the mother of the Messiah.  I cannot imagine how she must have felt being visited by the angel Gabriel and being told of her future.  She was just 13. I’m not sure I could handle such an announcement at 45.  Mary, however, accepted with grace what Gabriel told her.  Although she was not sure she was worthy, she obeyed God and accepted his plan for her.  Oh, how I wish I could be as accepting. 
I am often full of my own willfulness and wanting to do it my way.  God is so very patient with me. He waits patiently for me to realize I need His help and then He gives it when I ask.  What a wonderful Lord we serve!  I hope I can live into the patience and grace that Mary possessed. 
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord, 
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior; * 
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment