Sunday, March 16, 2014

Sunday, March 16




John 3:16
16 ‘For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.

Wow, God really loved us even before we were born. He sent his Son, Jesus, to the world knowing what the world would do to him.  Jesus knew he would be a sacrifice for the whole world.  Yet, Jesus lives his life on earth not in fear or with trepidation about what will happen at the end of his life, but joyfully with people that surround him with love. 

Since I am not a parent, I cannot imagine the sacrifice it must have been for God to send Jesus to earth knowing what would happen; however, I do love my family and my friends deeply and wonder at the sacrifice that was made.  Yet, both God the Father and God the Son love us so much that this is the plan they had for us to be saved from eternal damnation. I am so very thankful that God loves me this much.

Knowing the end of something can be distressing, but in some ways it can be freeing.  We know that we will all give up our earthly bodies and have eternal life in heaven, but so many people struggle against death and are fearful of it.  I have heard many sermons at church and homilies at funerals where the pastor assures us the death is a part of life and that God is with us on both sides of the veil, but as humans our frailties appear and we are afraid of the unknown.  I pray that I can approach death with the peace that passes all understanding because God so loved the world that he gave his only Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment