Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Wednesday, March 12



Colossians 1:28-2:3
 2 I want their hearts to be encouraged and united in love, so that they may have all the riches of assured understanding and have the knowledge of God’s mystery, that is, Christ himself,* 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Gregory the Great

Today we celebrate Gregory the Great.  This saint was Pope from 590 to 604 C.E. and is known as the Father of Christian Worship. He is also quoted as saying “many are called but few are chosen.” Saint Gregory lived as a monastic for a time and wrote a book called On Pastoral Care.

As a member of Community of Hope International, whose motto is “Listening with the ear of the heart,” I feel some camaraderie with St. Gregory as one who is trying to provide pastoral care to others.  I have done this in many ways including  hospital visits, nursing home visits, calling people who are shut ins, sending cards to people, saying prayers, providing meals, serving on a Meals on Wheels cook team, and even writing a book of prayers for a friend’s child during his heart surgeries.  I have tried to be the face of Christ to others in their time of need. 

I am now dealing with my father’s illness and hospitalization and it is very hard to remember how to be pastoral to myself and to other care givers when it is so up close and personal.  I have to remember that God is ever present and remember to call on Him in good and bad times on this difficult journey.  I have to remember that God wants my heart to be encouraged and united in love with my other family members. And I have to remember that God has knowledge of what is going on with my family and is right there with us.  For all of these things, I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment