Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ash Wednesday—March 5




From Psalm 51
1:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me.
1:11 Do not cast me away from your presence, and do not take your holy spirit from me.
1:12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and sustain in me a willing spirit.

As I approach the beginning of the Lenten season, I find these lines from the 51st Psalm very comforting.  There is a song that I learned from my Cursillo experience that uses these lyrics.  Each time I hear the words and music I remember that I always have the chance to change for God.  God wants me in His presence and wants me to have the comfort of the Holy Spirit.  The reminder to ask God to renew a right spirit within me is so powerful that it makes me approach this season of Lent not with despair and hopelessness for the coming crucifixion of Jesus, but to remember that the same God who had the power to raise His Son from the dead can renew my spirit as well. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment